These wings are so crispy and the best part is that you don’t need a deep fryer to enjoy them!
When it comes to the spice rub, you have several options depending on your taste. You can substitute the Butcher’s Blend Salt and PA Pepper for any of the following seasonings
- 10 whole chicken wings, cut into flats and drumettes. Discard tips.
You should have 20 wing pieces total
- 1 Tbsp. aluminum-free* baking powder (NOT baking soda)
- Pennsylvania Pepper Blend
- Butcher’s Blend Salt
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Place a oven-safe rack on top of cookie sheet.
- In a large bowl, use your hands to toss the flats and drumettes with the baking powder, spice rub and PA Pepper Blend until chicken is evenly coated. But do not add extra baking powder. Just mix them so they all have some.
- Place wings on the rack in single layer. Transfer rack and cookie sheet to the oven and cook for 30 minutes. This baking at a low temperature dries the wings out and allows the baking powder to penetrate.
- After 30 minutes, leave the wings in the oven but raise the heat to 425°F. Continue to cook until brown and crispy, 40-50 minutes.
Do not flip the wings over during the cooking process
- Take wings out and let rest 5 minutes.
When the wings are done being rested, you have some options to finish them. You can certainly eat them just the way they are or you can toss them in some sauce. For social gatherings, it’s always fun to serve a few different flavors. Here are just a few suggestions to get you started.