Braised Red Cabbage with Balsamic
This makes the perfect side dish for almost anything but we love it with Corned Beef and Cabbage instead of the plain old Green Cabbage. We prefer using our Traditional Balsamic but you can use any flavor to bring this dish to life.
- 1 Sweet Onion
- 1 Red Cabbage
- 2 Honey Crisp Apples
- 2 Strips of Bacon
- Bacon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Fennel Seeds
- 1/4 cup Traditional Dark Balsamic
- 1 Tablespoon of Unsalted Butter
- Peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Remove the core from the Cabbage and shred into strips.
- Peel the apples, then chop into small pieces.
- Finely slice the bacon.
- Drizzle Olive Oil into a pan over a medium heat, add the bacon, then crush and add the fennel seeds and cook until golden.
- Add the onion, cover, and continue to cook for 5 to 10 minutes, or until lightly golden and sticky.
- Scatter in the apple and cabbage, season with sea salt, black pepper and the Balsamic, then stir well.
- Put the lid back on, reduce the heat to low and cook gently for 1 hour, or until sticky and sweet, stirring occasionally.
- Scoop into a serving dish, place the butter on top, then serve.